Register

Renditioner compatible with sketchup 2014 available in the general discussion thread - SKETCHUP 2014.

Building A New Computer for Rendering ... Suggestion???
Read 1927 times
* May 29, 2011, 04:38:57 PM
Hello All -
I'm taking the plunge and investing in a new computer, but no one seems to offer an ideal rendering setup so I've decided to build my own. Based on my past history of repeatedly updating my current hardware, I'm pretty confident in my technical ability to undertake this project, but I'm not sure which components to select.

Suggestion???

Thanks in advance!

U

* May 29, 2011, 08:53:46 PM
Don't know about name brands, but fast (3Ghz+) multi-processor (go to Intel site to spec. this), fast bus, fast ram (as much as machine can handle), fast hard drives (at least 2 on the bus), big power supply, big box, and big fan. Unless you use rendering software that supports programing on the graphic adapter chip, graphic adapters do not affect rendering. Many medium to high end adapters work OK. If you are a Sketchup user, you have to carefully research compatibility. While it doesn't affect rendering a 24-30 inch display is good. Among other things, highest screen dpi is best.

You should research the hardware reviews, it stands to reason that any single person here will know less then the testers.

* May 30, 2011, 02:11:10 PM
Thanks H!

Most of my research has led me to guys building "Gamer" computers ... and these guys are FANATICS!!!! .... I mean really serious about their computers! Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point-of-view) I'm not a "Gamer" ... at least not in the video game sense of things. I think I'm on the write track, but most of the information/reviews/opinions aren't coming from persons doing rendering/3D modeling work.

We'll see how it goes ...

U

* May 30, 2011, 03:58:58 PM
Look here for hardware reviews. Check with SketchUcation for compatible SketchUp graphic adapter.