Register

Renditioner compatible with sketchup 2014 available in the general discussion thread - SKETCHUP 2014.

Dark ceilings
Read 3843 times
* January 17, 2013, 05:20:24 AM
Hi,

I've been struggling with dark ceilings in my interior renderings. 

Firstly I tried upping the lumens on my light fittings, I couldn't understand why the image got darker and darker they higher I went, but I've since read that this is due to proportions of contrast, and indeed, once I returned the lumens to an appropriate level, my ceiling brightened up slightly yet still remains unrealistically dark. I'm not able to lower them yet further as the interior as a whole becomes too dark.

I then tried attributing my ceiling with a light source material, but this is far too extreme and becomes divoid of shadows. 

Finally I tried using an invisible light, set in the middle of the room, but this doesn't look realistic.

I'm trying to show a client how, with a few clever design ideas, his basement office needn't be dark and dingy - so far my images merely confirm the validity of his concerns.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might be of help?

Incidentally, I see that this issue was also raised in a forum comment on 6th Jan, so I'm sure any suggestions will be gratefully received by others too.

Many Thanks,

Kathryn

January 17, 2013, 11:22:32 AM
1,  Can you attach a render when you have a problem with it please, it helps.

2,  I have been checking out dark ceilings for some time to get a proper answer and the best I can come up with is a high number of reflective finshes.

When I reduce these, the ceiling renders nicely, a couple of examples are attached.

Chillblast PC
i-7 3.07ghz 64 bits system.
nvidia GeForce GTX 460 1gb Graphics Card.
16Gb Ram.
Win 7 64 bit.
Renditioner Pro v3 (2.3.81851-2.4.81818-8.3.80994)

January 21, 2013, 03:11:52 AM
Hi Kathryn, can you let me know what light setting you use?  Interior or exterior renditioner light settings?  If you are having general dark renders, adding an interior lighting setup can ease or remove the problem.

I am still looking into other effects/methods so keep in touch.

Also check this topic.  http://forums.idx-design.com/index.php?topic=1119.0
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:46:18 AM by Mike »

Chillblast PC
16Gb Ram.
Win 7 64 bit.

* January 24, 2013, 03:46:31 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks ever so much for your replies and I'm sorry it's taken me this long to get back to you (I'm a part timer I'm afraid!). 

I've tried reducing the number of reflective surfaces however I haven't found the difference to be as obvious as the example you included, was this solely down to changing to matt surfaces?  (I'm attaching the image in question - I'm afraid you'll recognise it from a previous question regarding including a jpg image - sorry to be so tedious!)

Thanks again for all your help. 

Kathryn

ps I've been working on something else today - thought I'd include it for no reason other than I'm quite pleased with it. 

January 24, 2013, 11:38:27 PM
OK Kathryn, time for a more detailed look.

Can you attach or send me the file?  I will also need to see the lwx file which is in the location your saved renders are kept.

Let me run with this for a day and see what I can come up with as something is clearly not going right at the moment.

A drop box location or something like will be fine if there is a problem with releasing the file into the public domain.

The lwx file will enable me to repeat your settings within renditioner and get the same result so I can see exactly where you are.

Chillblast PC
16Gb Ram.
Win 7 64 bit.

* February 04, 2013, 01:16:54 AM
Hi Mike,

I'm sorry that I've taken so long in getting back to you, another project came up and took all my concentration. 

Thank you for saying you'd like to have a look at my file to see where I'm going wrong.  I've put the sketchup file, the rendered images and the snap shot lwx file (there was only one - is that right?) into a drop box as it was all too large to directly attach. 

Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/luoret2oihwaf1j/R5_U9HF781

I've got a long way to go before I get the results that I know I can eventually achieve with renditioner, thank you so much for helping me along this learning path!

Kathryn

February 04, 2013, 01:58:49 AM
Hi Kathryn, no worries, I am sure you are busy and the time it takes is the time it gets.

I shall have a look at the model and see what I can find and get back to you when I can.  A few things to do today so it will not be until later in the day.

Have a good one and check out the light unit Gattone has left at http://forums.idx-design.com/index.php?topic=1123.msg4676#new.

Chillblast PC
16Gb Ram.
Win 7 64 bit.

February 05, 2013, 12:54:43 PM
My two penny's worth are that not a lot is wrong, I altered one thing, the background scene I added light via the 'Light Emitter Finishes - Light Source' drag and drop box.

Memory is possibly a reason for low light and another is a graphics card that is struggling a bit.  Possibly update the graphics card driver and see if there is another little bit of virtual memory to find in the system.

Can you let me know a little more about the finishes you have applied to the model?  It would be handy to know the sort of look you are looking for, I cannot see that many, if any, finshes have been applied to the model.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:34:55 AM by Mike »

Chillblast PC
16Gb Ram.
Win 7 64 bit.

* February 07, 2013, 06:04:17 AM
Hi Mike,

Once again thanks so much for taking the time to look at my work. 

To be honest, I've no idea about graphics cards and memory, I'll have to ask my, far more computer literate, husband to look into it for me.

As for materials, yes I really do need to start using more textured materials and will do so from now on.

I'm going to have to leave this project as it is for now, as it's already been presented to the client and I need to move onto other things. 

I'm ever so grateful that you've looked at my file for me, it allows me to trust that I'm not doing anything terribly wrong.  Whenever I've got a bit more free time I'll do some more trials with the ceiling, I'll let you know if updating the graphics card and freeing up memory make a difference.

Thanks again, I'll leave you in peace for a bit (till the next project!)

Kathryn   

February 07, 2013, 08:15:48 AM
With a little alteration I got this....

Chillblast PC
16Gb Ram.
Win 7 64 bit.